Well summer started just the other day and I realized we are halfway into the year! This got me thinking back on my posts during January - one on New Year's Resolutions (I realized I'm doing at least somewhat well with 7-8 of the resolutions I set for myself and not so well with about 7 of them and the one on books I wish to read by the end of this year. Here's my progress on that list!:
NEWBERRY MEDAL BOOKS: (I've read a few of these but really need to get cracking!)
- Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead(book review)
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman*
- Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz*
The Giver by Lois Lowry Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech(book review) Missing May by Cynthia Rylant(book review)
- Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson
- Carry On Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
? still deciding.... (Rifles For Waite)
- ? still deciding
* They are not in the picture because I haven't purchased them yet!
HOMESCHOOL SOURCES: (Doing well here)
- Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Englemann - I've read the parts I need to 'read' but we are still using it for the exercises so I don't count it as totally completed yet! (We are over the halfway point...see my recent post on that here)
Exploring America by Ray Notgrass - Reading Book #2 with my son for school Laying Down The Rails - Sonya Shafer The Early Years - Shafer & Smith All Day Charlotte Mason Seminar & The Books and Things Seminar - DVDs and workbooks presented by Simply Charlotte Mason
- When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper
THE WRITING CRAFT: (not great, but not bad either)
- Writing Picture Books: A Hands on Guide From Story to Creation by Ann Whitford Paul
2014 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market
- A Family of Readers - The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature (started)
- Honey For A Child's Heart - The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life (this one easily falls into the Homeschooling category as well as A Family of Readers) (started...I think I'm about a third of the way in)
- The Orthodox Study Bible - yes, I've already read it 🙂 But the bible is a daily must no matter how many times one has read it (Trying to use a recent recommendation and keeping it lying open in a spot that I pass by often.... it's open to the psalms - also reading a bible commentary on the book of Luke)
- The Faith by Clark Carlton
- Inner River: A Pilgrimage to the Hart of Christian Spirituality by Kyriacos C. Markides
- The Open Door by Frederica Mathewes-Green (just started again recently)
- 2014 Daily Lives, Miracles and Wisdom of the Saints (Fasting Calendar by The Orthodox Calendar Company) (ugh.... not doing well with keeping up with this...yikes... not even sure where it is...need to locate and put by the bedside again or maybe with my bible commentary)
FOOD/NATURAL HEALTH:(uh, yeah, well....... not doing so well here...I keep getting distracted by fiction! LOL)
- The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
- The Coconut Miracle by Bruce Fife, C.N., N.D.
- It Starts With Food by Dallas & Mellissa Hartwig - I've read this before but I have a feeling I'll be reading it again...it was that good and packed with great information.
- ?? More to be Determined!
OTHER FICTION: (GLIMPSE was just released....maybe I'll talk my DH into stopping by the mall today so I can see if I can pick it up! Hope it's as good as it sounds!)
Dr. Sleep by Stephen King*** I couldn't let this one go by, no matter how many other books I'm reading! It's the sequel to The SHINING....my first Stephen King book that I ever read! (see my post on it here) Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff- a Newberry Honor Book (See my book review) The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson- sadly it's not in the picture because it doesn't come out until January 7th.... but I should be getting it delivered that day!! (Wrote a post on this one.....still feeling the pain of the protagonist... will probably read this one again but maybe not this year)
- Glimpse - the debut novel by Kendra Leighton... apparently based on the epic poem, The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes... this book is due out in August.
The Red Badge of Courage(my son is reading this one this year and I never have) The Pearl by John Steinbeck (Another my son is reading) The Old Man and The Seaby Ernest Hemingway (And another)
- The Tempest by William Shakespeare (My son's first Shakespeare - wish us luck!) (started.....oops...forgot to finish although my son did....hmmm...read before we watch the Netflix DVD that's on the TV stand or after???)
- Others, if time, To Be Determined.....
- No current list made.... I'm sure there will be tons.... at the very minimum we go to the library every 2-3 weeks and get at least 12-15 books..... that should involve a lot of reading! (Yep....been reading A LOT of these.... LOVING IT!)
I'm not giving up on the New Year's Resolutions either. I decided to print out my list and keep it by my bedside to use as a marker for whatever my current bedside book is so that I have a visual reminder each evening, allowing me to keep them more present in my mind.