The Flu and Cold season is upon us so I thought it was time for me to update last year's post on Natural Flu Remedies and give you my thoughts and recommendations*:
In addition to researching and learning a great deal about horrible ingredients in our food years ago, my family also learned a great deal about conventional medicine vs. natural medicine. We learned how to build our immune system with the natural ingredients we use in our daily meals. We learned about wholesome natural supplements. We learned about homeopathy. We are no longer supporters of vaccines and other conventional means of preventing or treating illness as I truly believe, after extensive research, those 'treatments' cause more harm than good. Now that doesn't mean we don't support conventional medicine at all. It has its place, especially in emergent situations. But my main point is this: There are natural methods to prevent and treat illness that do not contain the harmful chemicals laden in conventional methods - chemicals that actually harm our immune systems and cause disease. Therefor, this post is about more natural remedies for treatment of colds, flu and other seasonal or viral illnesses.* The first thing,of course, is to remember that food plays an integral role in your health. If you are eating junk, your body will act like you are eating junk. If you are eating good quality whole foods, your body will thank you and your chances of getting sick are greatly lessened! If you do get sick, chances are the illness will be much shorter in duration and less severe. I, myself, can boast that though I was constantly ill with strep throat and ear infections through most of my childhood and early adulthood, I have not dealt with these illnesses for the past 8 years! Strep was something I would often contract at least 4 times each fall and winter and several times during the rest of the year. This dramatic change in my immune system is not short of amazing.
The second thing to remember is that while food does play an integral role, being tired, run down, spending time in areas with sick people, or working in an environment harmful to your immune system causes a need to do some extra things to help your body prevent illness. Sleep is vital. Washing your hands when coming into contact with the public is important. Boosting your immunity with extra supplements (see the list below) when you know you'll be around others with viral illnesses is a good idea. Some of these supplements such as vitamin C, Vitamin D3 and Elderberry Syrup can be used throughout the season to give your immune system an extra boost. Avoiding environmental situations (polluted air, use of chemicals on surfaces - even harmful cleaning chemicals, etc.) that are harmful would be a good idea as well - though not always easy - but certainly a good idea.
But what can you do if you do get the flu?? Or a cold or other virus?? (And this is possible whether you get the flu vaccine or not...I strongly advise against the vaccine...but that's for another post)
- First and foremost: REST as much as possible. I know all too well that sometimes life just doesn't give us this option...but it is the most important thing to do if you can. Taking one day off work may prevent you from missing an entire week later.
- Wash your hands often. MOST especially after using the restroom or public places.
- Continue taking extra rest and doing extra things to boost your immune system for at least three days after symptoms fade.
- Eliminate sugar from your diet. Sugar wreaks havoc on the immune system! This includes fruit juice too! No - you really do not need orange juice for your vitamin c source - see more below!
- Eliminate Dairy while you are sick. Dairy promotes the formation of mucous. Therefore, it is beneficial to avoid during illness, especially, for those children or adults who get a lot of ear infections (or sinus issues) due to blocked eustachian tubes from the congestion.
- Eliminate caffeine while you are sick. Stimulants suppress your immune system.
- Avoid omega 6 vegetable oils which also suppress the immune system. (canola oil, corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil and soybean oils)
- Vitamin C! Make sure the vitamin C you select contains a large supply of bioflavanoids. This indicates the vitamin is coming from natural sources. Large doses are a must for treatment. The vitamin C protocol given to me by a naturopath was to take 1-2 grams (1000-2000 mgs). Follow this with 1000 more after an hour. Continue this until your bowels have reached intolerance level(meaning loose stools) because only then will you know that you have enough vitamin C in your body to fight the illness. The following day you are to take two less than what it took you to reach intolerance level. Continue for as many days as you have symptoms. For example, if it takes you 5 grams to reach intolerance, then for the next few days you would take 3 grams. Each person is different and each occasion of illness will be different for the amount needed.
- Vitamin D3 - Vitamin D3 is essential for your immune system. Our family takes this all through the fall and winter months into early spring. We take extra when experiencing any symptoms of illness.
- Keep your sinuses clean! You can do this with a neti pot or you can put some sea salt and baking soda(no more than an 1/8 tsp each) in your hand mixed with a bit of water and sniff through your nostrils. The neti pot is easier. A Xylitol nasal wash is anti-bacterial and can fight bacteria in the sinus cavities and prevent secondary infections.
- Take a hot bath for 20-30 minutes with 1-2 cups of Epsom Salt. This pulls out inflammation and will decrease muscle soreness and joint pain.
- Drink PLENTY of water!!
- Tea - Traditional Medicinals makes great teas for boosting your immune system and easing symptoms when ill as does the Yogi Tea brand. I make my own tea by filling canning jar with lemon slices, ginger pieces and filling the remaining space with raw local honey. When feeling a cold coming on, I simply take a spoonful or two and put it in a mug of hot water. YUM!!! Very soothing and delicious enough to have as a relaxing hot drink on a cold night regardless of absent symptoms! Tea, however, does not take the place of the water!
- Make your own yummy 'tea' to have on hand. Fill a mason jar (any size) with sliced lemons and ginger. Layer the lemons so that they are at an angle, allowing there to be space in the jar. Slice up some fresh ginger, placing nice thin pieces among the lemon slices. Now pour some nice RAW honey over the lemons and ginger until the jar is full. Place in refrigerator for safe keeping. When needed for sore throats or to soothe a cough, place 2 heaping spoonfuls (you may vary the amount) in a cup of hot water, stir to dissolve and drink.
- Drink HOMEMADE chicken broth, beef broth, turkey broth, onion soup or miso soup.
- Eat lightly. Heavy meals slow your digestion and interferes with the body's ability to fight off illness.
- Add onion and garlic to your foods! These are wonderful for the immune system!!
- Put on clean pajamas every day.
- Brush your teeth....OFTEN!! It is recommended to do so 5-10 times a day. Your mouth is where the bacteria like to hang out and this is a good way to get them out of there! Change your toothbrush as soon as you are better!
- Change the sheets on your bed when you are better.
- Keep a window open slightly to allow fresh air in or at least run a ceiling fan to circulate the stale air.
- Use a Humidifier.
- Gargle with raw apple cider vinegar. You can just use vinegar or you can add it to warm salt water.
- Remember there is a purpose for a fever. As long as your fever is under 103 degrees, there is no need for alarm or to treat it. A fever is the body's way of fighting the illness. Even for my child, I do not instantly treat a fever unless it seems to be causing distress (and is under 103). Sometimes I will give something for fever at night only to ease sleep. Rest is important too.
Homeopathic Remedies: (I LOVE homeopathy!!)
- Oscillococcinum - We keep Oscillo around the house all the time. My DH even takes it in his bag to work with him because it works best if you take it at the absolute moment you start experiencing symptoms. Just follow the instructions on the label. Try not to have anything in your mouth for 5-10 minutes before or after as that could interfere with the remedy's ability to perform well. If you miss the first symptoms or don't get a chance to take the Oscillo within a few hours of onset, it most likely will not work as well.
- Ferrum Phos 6x - This is for feverish flu symptoms that make you feel run down and cranky. Most likely you have sniffles and a snore throat. Follow the instructions on the label.
Other Products for Immunity
Have a few of these products on hand so that you have something when needed and can figure out what works for you. Remember everyone is different and your body may not respond as well to something that works really well for someone else.
Do you have other natural remedies to share?
Hopefully this flu season finds you healthy and smiling!!
* I am not claiming to be a health practitioner. I am not a medical doctor, conventional, homeopathic or naturopathic. I am simply sharing with you what I have learned in my research from various sources.