"As parents we are concerned about building whole people- people who are alive emotionally, spiritually, intellectually. The instruction to train up a child in the way he should go has enormous dimensions. It is to teach a child to think, to influence character, to give high ideals, and to encourage integrity. It is to provide largeness of thoughts, creative thinking, imaginative wondering." ~ Gladys Hunt in Honey For A Child's Heart
I am reading Gladys' book Honey For A Child's Heart. It's a wonderful guide for parents to assist in finding quality books for their children. I am only part way into the book and yet I can tell that Gladys shares my zeal for the importance of reading to children and what quality literature can offer to the child.
The above quote struck me as truly of utmost importance. I think that too often in this hustle and bustle focused on earthly cares world in which we live, we as a society miss what is important in the training up of a child. We forget that it does include teaching the child to think and that emotionality and spirituality are IMPORTANT! Indeed, I deem these things, especially faith and spirituality, to be the MOST important. When one reaches the end of one's life - be it at age 89 or 9, it does not matter what one gained academically, what job title you held or how much money you made- it only matter's what one gained in life on an emotional and spiritual level which one applied to their relationship to God that is of the utmost importance.
Quality books are part of this training. A quality book can be the gateway into more wonder and beauty in a child's world. Books give a child a very large view of the world and can fill a life with truth and goodness. It opens the door to experience and gets their ideas flowing! Offer your child a quality living book today...read it with them...talk about it. If you don't have any children at home, be your own child 🙂
Random Thoughts For Saturday:
- Beatrix Potter books and A. A. Milne Books should be read to every child! You don't recognize the authors? Tsk. Tsk. Silly Old Bear! None other than Peter Rabbit and Winnie-The-Pooh
- Life is short....enjoy chocolate!
- Do the right thing....because it's the right thing.
- Just how on earth do you fold a fitted sheet? I've watched videos...they make it look so easy...but how on earth do you really do it without it taking up a great deal of time? LOL
- My husband is the best husband imaginable... I know I'm biased...but...IT'S TRUE 🙂